Harrison Pensa is hiring a permanent, full-time Senior Estates Law Clerk to join our Wills & Estates practice group. We are seeking a candidate who is a team player, highly organized, detail-oriented, and who thrives in a busy environment.
Senior Estates Law Clerk Responsibilities
- Assisting in assembling information on assets and liabilities for estate administration purposes, including correspondence with financial institutions, CRA, executors, beneficiaries, and others;
- Perform general estate administration including but not limited to; preparing estate accounts, releases, documentation to cash or transfer assets, advertising for creditors, completing CPP death and survivor benefit applications, and preparing reporting letters, etc.;
- Prepare Application for Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee and corollary documents, Application for Passing of Accounts including the preparation of the Accounts for an Estate or Trust, court applications for removal or replacement of Estate Trustee, guardianship applications including preparing management plans and guardianship plans, and other court documents etc.;
- Managing estate files from inception through to final closing and reporting, and meeting with clients;
- Liaison with financial institutions and Court offices Communicating with clients, banks, investment advisors, accountants, and others in the administration of Estates;
Collecting and organizing case material;
- Ensure daily Bring Forwards are completed in accordance with the work plan guidelines;
Research records, past cases, and court files;
- Summarizing and reviewing detailed reports, transcripts, and legal documents;
- Assist other lawyers and staff within the Wills and Estates group as needed;
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary Law Clerk Diploma or related discipline;
- 3-5 years of experience as a Law Clerk;
- 8-10 years of experience in Wills and Estates preferred;
- Excellent organizational, attention to detail, time-management and critical thinking skills;
- Great knowledge of estates/ general legal proceedings;
- Demonstrated ability to work in fast-paced environment with a strong work ethic;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with the ability to prioritize and assess workload;
- Resourceful problem solver;
- Being proactive and taking initiative in anticipation of next steps;
- Using good judgment and maintaining strict confidentiality;
- Courteous, client-focused and professional attitude;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Keeping track of deadlines and appointments;
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications.
COVID-19 Hiring Status
We require all candidates and employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of fully vaccinated status is required prior to the first date of employment. If you require accommodation based on a medical or religious exemption, please notify Human Resources with your application.
At Harrison Pensa, we are a team that values you and your contribution. We recognize our employees are key in delivering exceptional service for our clients and fostering a supportive environment with the expertise to help you thrive.
We offer a salary commensurate with experience and a collegial environment.
Harrison Pensa is a full-service law firm based in London, Ontario, with expertise in business law, litigation, and personal legal services including family, wills and estate, and personal injury law. Personal and business clients throughout southwestern Ontario, across Canada, and internationally turn to us every day for our proven skills and trusted counsel.
London, Ontario is a great place to live. Located in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, London has the benefit of affordable housing, easy commutes, and a variety of entertainment and shopping — all the amenities of the big city without the challenges.
We encourage all candidates with an interest in the position to apply.
We encourage applications from persons with disabilities and will provide support throughout the recruitment process, including accommodation that considers an applicant’s accessibility needs.
While all submissions are appreciated, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All applications will be held in the strictest confidence.