The content of this page has not been approved by the Court nor does it constitute legal advice. It is for the purpose of providing general information only.
Nature of the Case
On July 26, 2012, Harrison Pensa LLP and Bates Barristers filed a proposed class action against Baja Mining Corp. (“Baja”), certain of its senior officers and directors, and the company’s auditor.
The action alleged that during the class period, the Defendants made misrepresentations and/or failed to make timely disclosure of significant cost overruns and project delays related to Baja’s Boleo Project located in Baja California Sur, Mexico. After over three years of litigation, a settlement agreement was signed by the parties on November 6, 2015 (the “Settlement”). In accordance with the Settlement, Baja has paid CAD $11,000,000.00 for the benefit of Class Members. The Settlement fully resolved all allegations in the Class Action.
Matter Resolved and Claims Period Concluded
The claims period was open from April 6 to August 4, 2016, during which time Class Members had the opportunity to make claims for compensation.
This case has now concluded and all payments have been made to eligible claimants. If you did not make a claim on or before August 4, 2016 and did not previously validly opt out, there is no further recourse against Baja Mining Corp.
- Fresh as Amended Statement of Claim
- Order for Consent Certification and Leave to Proceed – April 22, 2014
- Reasons for Decision – April 28, 2014
- Notice of Certification of Leave
- Order for Approval of Notice of Settlement Approval Hearing
- Notice of Settlement Approval Hearing
- Plan of Distribution
- Order for Settlement Approval
- Order for Settlement Administration Approval
- Reasons for Decision – March 4, 2016